7.25.2012

A quick (or not-so-much) history

On April 17, 2012 a litter of Portuguese Podengo Pequeno puppies was born at Podengos da Floresta in New Hampshire. Little did I know, one of these puppies would become my own.

I had been interested in PPP's since the 90's when I saw a picture in a dog breed book that my parents bought me. At that time, when I searched the internet - all websites I found were not in English. I moved on.

Maya came into my life in 2005 - I already had Star and Chance - all Chihuahuas. In March 2006, I watched my first agility runs at the Louisville Cluster Dog Show. I was fascinated, all sizes of dogs competed from the wee tiny to Great Danes. I thought, I want to do this! And Maya was a spunky, agile pup. We trained and learned together. We have became a great team.
Star

In 2010, my fiancee moved in with his Min Pin, Lili. She was from "the wilds" as one of my friends told me. Early 2011, my beloved Star passed away. That was a hard pill for me to swallow. I began working with Lili more, in hopes to turn her into an agility dog. She's sharp and knows all the basics (she's excellent at weaves), but she stresses at trials. I'm lucky to get her to do one obstacle. *sigh*

copyright Podengos da Floresta

It was time to add a new puppy to the mix. PPP's entered my mind again when AKC made them eligible to compete in the Misc Class in 2011. Then, one of my agility trial friends, Kim, got a PPP. I loved Chama. I wanted a scruffy wire coat one. The search began, the few breeders I talked to did not have litters "in the makings." Luckily, I had mentioned to Kim my interest in the breed. She messaged me about the litter at Podengos da Floresta. I started communicating with the breeder, Penny, and through the photos, videos, etc., I was falling in love...



No comments:

Post a Comment